Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Swindled

Life lessons come fast.

5 year old Janelle was naive.  Hindsight is revealing.  This is the tale of the first time I was swindled.

Neighborhood frenemy, Megan, was fickle in her affection. At times, she was fun, and at others she could be more cruel than the most wicked internet troll.

On one of the friendly days, Megan came over for a play date at my house.  As any proud 5 year old would do, I showed her my trove of toys.  Barbies, My Little Ponies, Seawees, puzzles, crafting supplies... and my recently earned Strawberry Shortcake doll.  

Next to the Rose Petal dolls, Strawberry Shortcake was my hero.Given to me at Christmas by my grandparents, she was the sweetest (and I mean literally -the doll smelled of strawberries for god's sake) gift I had ever received.

On the day of Megan's visit, I proudly showed her my newly acquired doll.  After seeing me boastfully (and exclusively) play with the doll, Megan claimed to me "I have one just like that."

Soon after the claim by Megan, my mother called us down from my bedroom for some reason. I remember walking down the stairs from the upper level of the house, with Megan trailing behind.

We ended up going over to Megan's house later.  Upon arriving, she showed me her own Strawberry Shortcake doll. Surprisingly, it also had a scratch along the face, similar to my doll. Where was the little companion cat Custard?  Megan told me she had "lost" it.  

I remarked that our Strawberries should play together sometime.

Funnily enough, after that day, I could never find my Strawberry Shortcake doll.  I still had Custard, of course.

Looking back, the crime was clear.  

Megan, if you read this... I WILL AVENGE the loss of my Strawberry Shortcake.  Years of playtime have been lost.  But I am coming for her...





No comments:

Post a Comment