Saturday, July 26, 2014

Getting Sappy

I have been waiting patiently all summer for this!

In May, I called the city and asked to participate in their boulevard tree program.  The dude on the other end of the phone was very sweet, and said "These are my favorite calls to take!" and helped me pick out the type of tree I wanted.

With all of the rain early this spring, the planting got delayed, so every day I would come home looking for my new tree.

I even had a sign out in the front yard for the planting team that was posted right in my desired spot with a note taped to it that read "Tree Location?" - even my note was full of hope.

And this week, just as I was packing my things up to leave work, I took a last minute call on my work line.  Before I even had a chance to say hello, I heard my sister's voice say, "You have a tree."

I let out an audible (frankly, loud) gasp of delight.  "Really?!"

I practically sped home through the rush hour traffic.  And turning down my street, I saw the little wonder - my new maple.  I got out of the car and walked up to it and said "Hi, Tree!"

This is probably the most uninteresting story to anyone else but me... but it is my little mark upon my land.  A little symbol of my independence.  A reminder that I can thrive and that small things will grow big.

Stand tall my little tree!


1 comment:

  1. Your tree looks bigger already!!! May it grow tall and strong!

    ReplyDelete